At the end of January, President Trump announced Executive Orders affecting refugee resettlement.
We encourage advocates to lift their voices to express opposition. Together, we are standing firm in support of migrants and refugees.
5 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO STAND IN SUPPORT
1. Sign this petition stating opposition to any plans to stop refugee resettlement. Remember to confirm your sign-on via your email, otherwise it won’t be counted.
2. Tweet @realDonaldTrump & @POTUS – Samples below (please personalize):
@realDonaldTrump & @POTUS Don’t stop welcoming refugees. Resettlement demonstrates the best of our American and Christian values#RefugeesWelcome
@realDonaldTrump & @POTUS Keep America welcoming. Refugee resettlement is a proud American legacy with bipartisan support #RefugeesWelcome
@realDonaldTrump & @POTUS More than 800 faith leaders stand for welcoming refugees and are opposed to any policy that would keep Muslim refugees from seeking safety: bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees
@realDonaldTrump & @POTUS Christians oppose policies that would deny Muslims refuge and preference Christians bit.ly/FaithLeaders4ALLRefugees
3. Send the White House a Facebook message at Facebook.com/WhiteHouse AND submit an electronic message at whitehouse.gov/contact – Samples below (please personalize): President Trump, We are hearing that you will stop refugee resettlement and single out some refugees based on their nationality or religion. As a faith community, we are STRONGLY opposed to any policy based on unfounded fears that would endanger refugees and deny access to refugees based on their religion or nationality.
4. Pray for refugees in your worship service. The legacy of Lutherans is to be courageous and compassionate in word and service. Please use this prayer for refugees in your worship service.
5. Share on social media a series of videos jointly developed by LIRS with all of the national refugee resettlement organizations for the Refugees Love America social media campaign. The purpose of the videos is to combat anti-refugee sentiment and open up important public dialogue. #refugeeswelcome.
A PRAYER FOR REFUGEES
Almighty and Righteous God,
We walk together with you, our God, on our journey through life. We do not make this trip alone for you promised us a helper, your Spirit. Now help us to see your Spirit in those you send to journey with us:
in the refugee family, seeking safety from violence in our midst, let us see your Spirit –
in the migrant worker, bringing food to our tables,
let us see your Spirit –
in the asylum-seeker, seeking justice for a family,
let us see your Spirit –
in the unaccompanied child, traveling in a dangerous world,
let us see your Spirit.
Teach us to recognize that as we walk with each other, your presence shines on us. Teach us to welcome the strangers in our midst and recognize the gifts they bring to our community. Give us your peace and comfort as we are together on this journey, through Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord. Amen.